PMR 446 Licence-Free Definition
A PMR466 radio can be used without a licence in most European countries providing it complies to the PMR446 specification. The specification is as follows:
- Can only transmit on the 8 analogue and/or 16 digital PMR446 frequencies. (Usually has CTCSS and DCS signalling too.)
- Has a non-removable antenna to prevent connection to an external antenna.
- Has a maximum radiated power of 500mW (0.5watts).
- Is clearly marked at point of sale as a PMR446 radio.
- Cannot be used with Repeaters. Amplifiers or external aerials.