Kenwood TK3501 & TK3000 VOX
VOX setup on TK3000 and TK3501 only.
VOX is internal on certain Kenwood radios so no external VOX hardware is needed.
VOX needs to be enabled in the Kenwood software. With most other Kenwood radios this is done at the factory. With the TK3000 and TK3501 VOX needs to be enabled by your radio supplier using the Kenwood programming software. Once enabled you can change the VOX level yourself.
VOX level needs adjusting for the ambient noise levels. This can be done in the field.
VOX proceed tones and hang times although not essential improve VOX functionality. These are not by default enabled in the software.
A suitable headset or earpiece needs to be used. There is no such thing as a special VOX headset but not all kenwood headsets and earpieces are suitable. The headset needs to have a live Mic, a mic that is always connected to the radio, not via the PTT (i.e. In series with the PTT). Some headsets are wired in such a way that PTT works fine but VOX does not. All Wildtalk earpieces are VOX capable.
With a suitable headset plugged in you need to put the radio into VOX mode by following the instructions in the Kenwood manual.
Once in VOX mode speaking into the headset triggers transmit. If you press the PTT on the earpiece or radio VOX is immediately disabled and the headset returns to PTT mode.
Putting the TK3000 and TK3501 into VOX mode.
- Put the channel selector on any channel other than S
- With the radio off press and hold the lower side button.
- Keep and hold the lower side button pressed after turning on the radio.
- Release the lower side button after the red-green led flashes.
- Rotate the Channel knob from 1 to 10 to select the VOX level (S is VOX off).
- Test the VOX by speaking into the Mic adjusting the VOX level to suit.
- Once the correct level is found lock the setting by pressing the lower side button for 2 seconds then power off and on the radio.